Saturday, September 20, 2008

My third (first real) week at work...

The first two weeks at my new job was training so I was learning and shadowing the people at work so I really physically was not working at all. My brain was hurting on overload by the weekends though. This week was all me doing the work and doing paperwork for my boss for the clients he was seeing. Monday was hard. I cried on my walk, called hubby and my sister to vent during lunch, and was generally just overwhelmed by the work. My sister told me that it is a genetic trait in our family to not want to ask for help. We want to do it all ourselves and be capable long before it is feasibly time enough to do the job correctly. So, Tuesday was better and I was ok with the work, asking for help if I needed it. I had to do pull paperwork from several sites and organize it into a presentation for the client. I looked at my notes and was pleasantly surprised that the time it took to do it, went amazingly slow and I was able to complete it within the time frame I needed. Wednesday time went amazingly fast. Computers went down for a spell and then came back again Thursday and Friday so time was spent waiting for them to come back online.

My office is fun to work at. I have said before that the people I work with are funny and inviting but I am here to tell you, they make life at the office a lot of fun! Staff meetings have an air of silliness to them even though they are also very informative and full of training materials. I have also resumed my walking schedule. I need to buy a pedometer today so I can track my steps throughout the day. There is a sidewalk surrounding the Office suites in our complex so I have been walking that for 20 minutes on my lunch break. We have had gorgeous days and it lets me calm down from a tough morning or settle my brain into what I have to do the rest of the day. Plus I get my activity points done at work.

Oh yeah, I lost another pound last week. 13 pounds and counting! YEAH!!!!!

Well, we were going to go to the airshow today but rain is in the forecast and I do not want to walk in rain with a 6 year old.

Have a great weekend and I'll update again when I have time.


Anonymous said...

I finished my first week at work also. I 1st day I worked, on the way home I couldn't believe how tired I was. I could have cried. But I didn't
I really want to do this, so that makes ALL the difference.
This is going to take me a while to get used to. I haven't been back in the eyecare profession for (shhhh!) 20 years. We parted ways because I wanted to be more involved with computers.
Now, optics and computers have merged and it's wonderful! BUT, I have to get used to a whole new bunch of stuff.
My brain hurts too and I had to shadow a few co-workers also.
Hang in there. It gets easier every week.
I am on 2 days then off 2 days. No more long time off for me anymore. because of that I have to organize my time AND I have to get up early (even on my days off)
But, Andi, I love it!
I'm losing weight, I'm going for walks, I wearing better clothes and putting on makeup. I feel like a whole new woman again.
I can't believe it's really me????

Go figure.

Dedicated said...

I react exactly like this! My DH says because I am a control freak. I don't think so, I just want to do a good job and not be a burden on others.